Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Marriage Is Not Always Easy? Damn it!

   
   Being a bride-to-be is a part-time job, I should get paid for this.  Every second that I am not working my full-time job or training my athletes I have an appointment or a task at hand to accomplish.  Where and how did society and myself allow the "True Definition" of this magical day disappear and be replaced with ribbons and curls? Although I am very blessed and excited to have the opportunity and the most AMAZING parents that only wish for me to feel nothing less of a princess for this day you have to ask,....What is all the hype about??  

   Catering, save the dates, invitations, compile guest list, choose and retain officiant, notify attendants, accessories, florist and arrangements, (deep breath) photographer, Dj, song list, Musician for ceremony, rental equipment, register for gifts, wedding cake, groom's attire, fittings, veils, shoes, themes, booking hotels, favors, transportation, bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl, ceremony.  JEEEZZZZZZZ!!!
 
   I will be the first one to admit I was "That Little Girl" that desired all of these things.  I used the curtains as my veil, the weeds growing in my front yard as my bouquet,  my babysitters high heels, the hallway leading to my kitchen as my long isle, my little sister humming "The Wedding March", while my stuffed animal Tubes was my handsome and extremely short groom (R.I.P. Tubes). Only after meeting my groom to be did I really realize the true meaning and art of marriage. 


I wasn't kidding readers.

   In Genesis we read:  And the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." . . . So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh (Love is pain men,wink). Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib (side) he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. (Gen 2:18, 21 22)

   Through many chats with married couples I have come to the realization that happiness in marriage is not something that magically happens (Damn it!).  A good marriage must be created.  In marriage the little things are the big things. So I have decided to take a few moments to discontinue my wedding plans for the next five minutes to list off a few of the little things that I have seemingly forget about during the hype of this insane wedding planning circus.

         * It is loyalty and honesty. * It is never being too old to hold hands. * it is always living for and through Christ. * It is determining the mood of your partner. * It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day. * It is never going to sleep angry. * It is always excepting the women is right (wink) * It is at no time taking the other for granted; * The courtship should never end  with the honeymoon, it should continue through the years. * It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. * A happy wife, is a happy life. * It is always opening the door * It is standing together facing the world. * It is forming a circle of love that gathers the whole "farmily" (Scipio, Brutus, and Tough). * It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. *It is speaking words of appreciation  and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. * It is excepting that his farts won't ever smell like roses * It is not looking for perfection in each other. * It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. * It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. * It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow old. * It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. * It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

   When all is said and done all that truly matters is the man at the end of the isle. I've ultimately purchased the ticket, strapped myself in, and look forward to  embracing that day with my best friends and family. I am going to sit back and enjoy this ride and first of many exciting chapters of the our amazing adventures.


My ultimate goal on my wedding day!



1 comment:

  1. love it and love YOU!! your list is a very good one...i need to print it out and post it on my bathroom mirror as a daily reminder! :) love you! :)

    ReplyDelete